Sunday, June 28, 2009

Stay-cation Sunday

What do you do when you're looking for something different to do on a Sunday evening, but feel exhausted and the effects of the economy? You pitch a tent in your backyard, of course!

The kids went to bed early, and Mr. Dan the Camper Man took the opportunity to whip out the old Dewig tent (from the days of his crazy camping bachelor days). He convinced me to join him for a snuggle while we enjoyed this warm, gorgeous Sunday evening.

This is our lovely backyard view from inside the tent. I don't know as though I've ever laid down in my own backyard in the last 3 homes we've lived in. I won't lie- it was really great. Milestone #1.

So as we were laying there snuggling I proceeded to get the giggles because there's just something really humorous to me about lying in your husbands arms on the ground in a tent. In your own backyard. While two children are sleeping. Inside. And then I began thinking about all the hardcore camping and backpacking and hiking that Dan did in his days of youth growing up in Colorado, and then I'm immediately thinking how my own childhood outdoor experiences were completely contrary to his- in fact, just lying here in my own backyard is about the closest I've ever come to camping. And I'm completely enjoying the moment, truly I am. Dan is so happy in his element, and I can tell he's just so darn proud to have his wife in his tent FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER (before I entered his tent, I asked him how many girls had been in there before me, and he happily reported: none. Great answer). But immediately, I'm spinning with 200 questions. Why is it so smelly in here? Is there mold growing in here? How can these thin flimsy little strips of fabric really protect us from the elements? Could this thing up and fly away? Is there more homemade ice cream?

And then I sort of looked up at him with a bright new realization and asked "This is the closest thing to a vacation we're going to have this summer, isn't it?" That dear sweet husband of mine replied, "Yep, and this tent will still be up, right here tomorrow." So far, our Staycation is lovely and I'm actually sincerely anticipating doing it all over again tomorrow evening. (Milestone #2.) Perhaps we'll send you a postcard.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. I know where you can take an inexpensive vacation...(wait for it)....MY HOUSE!!!

    That's all I'm going to say. You know the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. The word verification I just got to post my previous comment was "hookers."

    that's v. funny!

    ReplyDelete