Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Ridiculously Thick Yogurt"

I would like to introduce you to my new found friend, Fage Yogurt (and please respectfully adhere to the proper pronunciation- "fa-yeh"). We just met, Fage and I. But I'm getting ahead of myself, because this is the part where I must first and foremost give an obligatory shout out to my sister who ever so thoughtfully set the two of us up on a blind date just mere days ago. Lisa, from this day forward, Fage & I will toast to you each and every morning that we spend together. Alright then, on with the Fage.

Fage is basically a VERY creamy strained Greek yogurt. The folks who work for Fage don't lie when they claim their product is a "ridiculously thick yogurt". Indeed, it is. I wasn't sure if thick yogurt would even be something I'd be into- I mean, I usually just get the good ol' Trader Joe's Organic whatever flavor, with a very normal, classic yogurt texture. Which is lovely. I have no complaints with them. I've been very happy and satisfied for years with the status of my current Trader Joe's yogurt relationship. I've not felt a need to look around, play the field, or much less stray. But when that sister of mine just kept gushing and babbling on and on about this Fage's magical powers, I was left with robust...yogurt curiosity. What had I been missing, if anything?

And then, I bit into the creamy heaven and realized this Fage stuff is on a whole new playing field. The only thing I can appropriately compare its texture to would be cheesecake. Except it's healthy! I would have settled for just great taste, but Fage is actually pretty amazing in the nutritional benefits department:
  • 100% natural
  • 20 grams of protein per 8 oz. serving!!!
  • 120 calories, nonfat (although it also comes in lowfat and whole milk, too)
Con:
Not organic. Which is huge, I know. Especially with dairy. We are trying our hardest to stick with organic in all things dairy, and this sort of puts a damper on my yogurt parade. However, I fully intend to at least inquire as to whether or not they have plans to produce an organic line of their yogurt, and if so- you all better watch out. It will be Fage Organic Yogurt for all of your birthday/Christmas/wedding/baby shower gifts from that day forward.

Try it- let me know what you think. I'd really like to know. That means you, Alicia (they have it at Trader Joe's, did I mention?)
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. ok, ok! I'll try your yogurt. You could be in their marketing department. i do have some of my favorite rasberries that could use a little yogurt and honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,

    I came across your blog and saw you recently tried Fage Greek yogurt. Stonyfield Farm makes Oikos Organic which is thick, creamy and filling just like the other brand(s) you’ve tried – but, it’s ORGANIC. As you probably know, organic means it's made without artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, and it's made from organic milk produced without the use of toxic persistent pesticides, chemical fertilizers, antibiotics, or artificial growth hormones (ie rBST). We feel that organic is not only healthier for you, but better for the planet as well.

    I'd love to send you coupons to give Oikos a try. If you're interested, send me an email at kdrociak@stonyfield.com and let me know where to send them.

    Take care,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stonyfield farms is delicious! I LOVE the peach yogurt smoothie. In fact, I wish I had one right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen Crandall VillarealJune 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM

    my fav toppings are:
    honey with slivered almonds
    OR
    maple syrup
    OR
    homemade granola
    OR
    sliced peaches with cinnamon or nutmeg sprinkled on top :)
    Love your blog, Nic, it makes me happy :)
    ~ Jen

    ReplyDelete