Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Summa-time


Well, folks, it's official- summertime has hit the Dewig Household! We four are celebrating this season in different ways; me with a bit more time on my hands to catch up on...well, everything. Reading is really what I seem to be doing more of these days, and in my wise old age of 30, I have learned that I am a girl who desperately needs and loves the quiet respite that nap time provides each day. Also, with my new found commitment to actually planning out meals each week, I find myself in the kitchen quite a bit, baking and cooking up a storm, trying to create nutritious but inexpensive concoctions. It's not easy, but who doesn't love a challenge? Heck, speaking of a challenge, Dan & I even actually invited our calculator into Trader Joe's the other day on a family grocery shopping trip, trying to keep the grand total under the $100 mark. (We came very, very close, and the whole experience just reinforced what I already knew- Trader Joe's prices ROCK).

Ben has found a unique outlet to celebrate the summer season, ever since he learned about the evil snail creatures that peruse our yard, searching only to destroy any and all plants that Mommy & Daddy care for. Dan has taught Ben the gruesome (albeit potentially helpful) art form of squishing any and all snails he encounters. I try to just turn away from the snail gore and plant my nose back into my book where it belongs. Here's the little handsome fella (and yes, he's outside in his undies in this first one):



As for Miss Ella, she is entirely consumed trying to do this with most of her free time. The summer weather even allows her to do this in the buff on occasion, which (in my completely unbiased opinion) is just outright adorable. I just love her. We are very much tied at the hip, she & I, and I am doing my darnedest to enjoy every second of her babyhood, close my eyes at least once a day, breathe deeply and say, remember this moment, save this moment, lock it in your heart for always.
This is Ella after attacking her first pancake ever (blueberry, of course). She seems to be a fan of the carbs, and I have a feeling she's following in her Mama's footsteps in the Deep Love for Pancakes department.


Dan is now home pretty much full-time, and I'm learning that a parent to child ratio of 2-2 is a whole lot more peaceful than what I'm used to the rest of the year. Having him around to help actually makes me appreciate myself. That made no sense- what I mean is, having him help out as much as he does makes me realize how much a stay-at-home-mom does all on her own during the course of a regular day.

Family Beach Days are a new priority for me this summer. That's right, I've made priorities for these next 8 weeks. I see no reason why we shouldn't be spending at LEAST two mornings a week strolling alongside the water. So far, so good. This was our first of two walks this week (!!!!)

So far, the "moral to my summer" seems to be that although Dan's profession as a high school teacher will never be a lucrative one, it has its definite obvious perks. You simply cannot put a price tag on the time that we are able to spend together this summer. Now that Ben is 3, his day-to-day events are ones that he is actually going to remember from this point forward, and what an awesome experience we are blessed to provide for him- the gift of time with BOTH parents. I don't know who's happier to have him for all of these "stay home days"- my kids or me.

Dan, thanks for working so incredibly hard during the school year so that we get to relish in your presence all summer long. It feels so great to have you home for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. We heart you!

No comments:

Post a Comment