Thursday, May 28, 2009

Snails in the morning

Sometimes being woken up abruptly in the morning (by those cute little ankle biters of mine) reeks havoc on my psyche, especially if I have not yet consumed my first cup of coffee, or "vitamin C" as Dan puts it. When this happens, I'm not quick to respond, I'm not particularly cheerful or pleasant, and I usually don't say a whole lot or find many things funny until I've officially "woken up" and come out of my dream fog. And so, it was especially entertaining this morning, when, at around 7:30 a.m., I hear Dan calling my name from the backyard, while I was in the kitchen doing my usual breakfast prep routine. I look out the window, and what I saw was priceless.

Let me paint the picture.

Dan is all dressed up and looking very handsome in his professional work clothes. He's holding Ella in one arm (she accompanied him during his morning chore of feeding the dog), and in the other hand, he's holding up 2 snails. The snails are stuck to each other, and he's holding one by its shell, while the other one is dangling, still stuck to its friend and hanging on for dear life. So Dan is calling me, over & over- "BAAAABE! Babe! Look!"

I look out the kitchen window, and with his eyes wide and as big as Buick hubcaps, a huge smile across his face, he yells, "LOOK! The snails are totally MATING!!!!!"

It was like my husband turned into a curious 3 year old boy, and felt the need to share his discovery with me, and all nearby neighbors.

I laughed out loud for a few seconds, and when he came back in, I immediately questioned how he knew the snails were mating. When did he become a snail expert? Do snails have male/female parts? How does he know they weren't just hugging? Or maybe even just spooning? He laughed it off as if I was so ridiculous for even asking the question, and through his snicker, informed me:
"Oh Babe! It was SO OBVIOUS! Two snails? Stuck to each other? Totally mating!"

This is my "new thing learned" for the day.

Please tell me this struck your funny bone, too

No comments:

Post a Comment