Friday, May 15, 2009

Shout Out

Dear Trader Joe's Snack & Sample Lady,

Oh, how I love you.

There you are, ever so faithfully waiting for us, with your electric gadgets going, your warm coffee brewing, and your sunshiny smile flashing for all of us- me & my fellow shoppers- to see. You think you're just doing your simple everyday job of whipping up a few snacks, doing some basic product promotion (thank you for the Poor Woman's Soup recipe, BTW), but it's oh-so-much more. Little do you know that I forgot to pack a snack today for my own 3 year old apparently ravenous son, who is now having a complete low blood sugar meltdown, and who, if you were not there, would throw himself right down on this Trader Joe's floor in wild fits of tantrum. Because of you, we've got a Trader Joe's rhythm: hit up the produce, peruse the cheeses, and BAM! We're met by you & your snack time heaven. You are the reason I have any bribing power at all when I walk in those doors. "If you're a really great listener for the whole shopping trip, maybe we can even go back for seconds!". And when you say things like, "Would you like a cup of juice to go with that, too?" I find myself hardly being able to contain myself. WHY, YES I WOULD, SNACK/SAMPLE LADY.

Sometimes I get frustrated with my fellow shoppers when they walk right up to your stand and grab a sample without saying one word. There's no "thanks" or "how are you today" from some of these ingrates, and I find myself biting my tongue. Hey! Don't' you know who she is? She's the SNACK/SAMPLE lady! Have some respect! Please let me apologize on their behalf. They know not what they do.

You are my modern day hero. You allow me to have a somewhat normal grocery shopping experience. You buy me a few more minutes in the wine aisle, so that I can do a bit more research in my wine pursuits, rather than just grabbing the cheapest bottle of Merlot I can find. You are saving the world by making little children happy, one hungry tummy at a time.


And so, here's to you, Trader Joe's Snack/Sample Lady. Thanks.

p.s. Oh, and to all you check-out cashiers who shower Ben with strips & strips of stickers as we exit your store, you're pretty awesome, too. You should probably know that you provide great drive home, as Ben has decided his favorite new game is to plaster these stickers all over his mouth. It's a pleasantly quiet, peaceful drive home while I sing the Trader Joe's praises.

2 comments:

  1. I never see the trader joes lady. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing writer!!!!! You have a gift!

    ReplyDelete