Friday, May 1, 2009

Friday is Funny

Ben pretty much summed it all up this morning, as we were running errands all around town: "Mom, today is a funny day. You better stop and get some coffee."

Sigh. Yes, Ben- you are so wise.

Lucky for me, his advice came at the perfect time, right as we were passing by Peet's coffee (the best coffee in the world, of course). Suddenly, Friday became a whole lot sweeter with an almond latte in my hand. And Peet's coffee, if I may address you directly: THANK YOU for taking the time to make the perfect foam, and create a beautiful swirl-like design. Sometimes you even surprise me with a heart design in my foam. You make me feel so special, Peet's. And for that, I pledge to you my lifelong affection and extra spending money.

So I don't have any major blogging stories or news to share, but I have a few tidbits. Here they are in no particular order:
  • It's kind of raining today and we celebrated by taking a trip to Trader Joe's where the "sample lady" (God bless her) was making a banana waffle with COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM. That's right, you heard me. Isn't that clever? (she just mixed coconut milk with whipping cream. Try it, you'll like it)
  • I made a banana cream pie yesterday. I'm not quite sure what's inspiring me to make pies these days, but first it was a key lime pie last week, and then last night it was banana cream. Actually, I think what's inspiring me are the pastry-alternative- crust options I've been dabbling in. Let me just say....both were to die for, and I'm not even a huge fan of banana + cream ANYthing. But wow, I love how we have access to millions of recipes on the world wide web, which have reviews and suggestions, and I can take someone else's advice from the mistakes they've made and then follow their recommendations. It's like having kitchen mentors all over the globe, who just happen to be strangers. Anyway, the best recommendation for the b. cream pie was to use a Nilla Wafer/melted butter crust instead of traditional pastry. BEST ADVICE EVER. Thank you Betty, from Iowa!
  • Ben's 3rd birthday is in 11 days and I have no idea what to do for the little guy. I asked him last night what he wanted for his birthday, and he looked outside into our yard, and started naming whatever he could see. For example- "Ummmm, I want.....a tree. And a patio. And some flowers. And a BBQ." Super- it sounds like instead of getting him a gift this year, all I need to do is walk him out into the backyard and say, Here you go!
  • I am seriously considering reinstating our Netflix membership. I miss watching movies, and going to the video store is depressing- I'm sorry, $5 to rent a movie? Who does Blockbuster think they are?
  • It's Friday. A funny Friday, indeed. Rain is falling, and my babies are napping, and suddenly my bed is calling my name. Best advice my mother-in-law gave me: When [the kids] are napping, you go and nap! I think I'll take her up on this one. Happy Siesta to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment