Sunday, July 26, 2009

Her Mother's Daughter

I got a good laugh today watching Ella adjust to wearing shoes for probably only the second time in her almost 9 months of life. Because the girl has tee tiny feet, shoes have always looked ridiculous on her, so I usually opt for bare feet or socks 99% of the time. But now since she's crawling all over the place, I figured she should start getting used to having some sort of protective barrier between her toes and all the dangerous things she's running into all the time.

I slipped on her piggies a pair of really adorable soft-soled pink shoes with giant pink bows on the top, courtesy of her big cousin. After admiring them and trying to pull them off for about 10 minutes, she crawled around and played for a bit. I figured she had seen them, was unimpressed after 1o minutes, and decided to move on with her busy-body-self. After a while, it was time for me to breastfeed her, so I got us all settled in just as we do every day, four times a day. Only this time....good gracious, the girl was completely and totally distracted by the beauty of her new shoes. You would have thought she just discovered the eighth wonder of the world, and was completely mesmerized by the glory of these mysterious pink leather shoes now enveloping her feet. Rather than doing her business and nursing, she just kicked her leg straight up in the air and stared at her new shoes. I kept trying to distract her and encourage her to nurse, but after latching on for a minute or so, she'd go right back to staring at her beautiful new treasures, smiling, and ignoring me all together. Like, "Uh, Mom? Could you leave me & my shoes alone for a few minutes? We'd like some privacy as we get a little bit more acquainted with one another."

Though, I can't say I blame her one bit. And...I might even go as far to say that I'm slightly proud. It seems the Deep Love for Shoes Torch has been passed down to one more generation. Bravo. Maybe if this new little passion of hers for shoes continues, I'll have the perfect bribery tool come potty training time. Dually noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment