Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Coughs & a New Tooth

Ayrılığa DayanamamImage by gencalioglu via Flickr

I should start by saying....Mama's tired. As my darling mother would say, I'm too pooped to pop. Not sure exactly what that means, but I know it must be applicable for today's whole...vibe. You know you must really look tired when your child's pediatrician, ever so gently, makes a comment like, "Wow. You okay? You look like you didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night".
Uh no, Dr. Block, I didn't. Thanks for pointing that out because I wasn't already feeling self-conscious enough about this no shower/no makeup/lack of fresh clothing thing I had going on....to be honest, he's lucky I found my way to my toothbrush this morning.

After a couple days of watching Ben's runny nose go from very mild to icky + cough, we bit the bullet (and the co-payment) and took him in. Good thing. That boy is a trooper because he had one ear infection and another one developing quickly. Also, the cough was somewhat constricting his airways, making it difficult to do much of anything, so he promptly received an in-office breathing treatment. And that is when all the light bulbs in my little brain began flickering. NO WONDER HE'S BEEN SUCH A GRUMPY WRECK! It's funny how much of a relief a quick visit to the pediatrician's office can bring (aside, of course, from the verbal mockery I received) because I now know that my sweet Ben is still inside that little body of his, he just needs time, fluids, antibiotics & rest to pry it out of him!

So that was half the battle.
The other is Miss Ella and The Little Tooth That (finally) Could. Good news: it's about time! We've been waiting for this first tooth to pop through for about 4 months now! The bad news: uh, it's popping through. Thank goodness that as adults we don't remember this stage of our babyhood because it appears to be quite brutal. There's this itty bitty little razor of a tooth literally cutting up through her little gum's. So, naturally, it makes her all the more sensitive and mommy-dependent (i.e. boob dependent) and resist sleep and just overall miserable. Poor baby girl. Well, all I can say about this is: One tooth down, nineteen more to go. Awesome.

Dan is working at the restaurant this evening, and I know I should spare him & utilize this opportunity to watch my "girl" movie , The Duchess, but I am overwhelmed by the thought of finding the energy to get up from this chair, dig around for a remote and commence DVD viewing. Instead, I think I will make my way to a hot shower, my 15 yr. old sweatpants, my aloe vera infused socks (oh, Lizzie, thank you), my lonely bed, and read up on the many new recipes that I am dying to try once we're all rested and done teething and coughing and ready to get back to summertime pleasantries. Nighty night.

1 comment:

  1. This was fun to come home to. I love you so much.

    Your hubby,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete