Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Dessert Worth Trying


I realize it's no surprise that I may have a slight obsession with ice cream, especially since I've jumped on the homemade ice cream bandwagon. And it's no surprise that I get pretty excited about my homemade ice cream. It's almost enough to get me up in the morning- I mean, the variety and possibilities are truly endless! The thing that I love the most about making my own is that I can completely control the ingredients, I always cut back the sugar, or use a lower fat alternative to straight whipping cream (which most ice cream recipes call for). I realize not everyone owns a handy dandy ice cream maker to take 98% of the hard work out of the ice cream making process, but this is the one we have (received as a wedding gift almost 5 years ago- thanks all over again, Flynn's!) and I was pleasantly surprised at how relatively inexpensive they are now.

So here is our favorite recipe thus far- a variety of ice cream I've made probably 4 times already this summer. I've taken a recipe I found on All Recipes and added a few of my own ingredients, which in my humble opinion, has essentially perfected the recipe. I call it Cinnamon Ice Cream, but Dan calls it Cinnamon Roll Ice Cream. Another suitable name would be Snickerdoodle Ice Cream. You get the idea- just a fantastically delicious ice cream with cinnamon as its shining star ingredient. You're just going to have to make it yourself and decide which name suits it best.


INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/2 cup white sugar (or sugar substitute)
  • 1- 13.5 oz can Coconut Milk (OR you can substitute with about 1 1/2 cups half-and-half, but I think the coconut milk gives it a really tasty flavor)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup half-and-half (OR you can substitute part half-and-half with part milk)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • Dash of almond extract or Amaretto (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together the sugar and coconut milk (or half-and-half substitute). When the mixture begins to simmer, remove from heat, and whisk half of the mixture into the eggs. Whisk quickly so that the eggs do not scramble. Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan, and stir in the 1 c. of half-and-half. Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat, and whisk in vanilla, cinnamon, and almond extract or Amaretto. Set aside to cool.


2. Pour cooled mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions (usually 25-30 min.). Ice cream will be soft serve at this point- we put ours in the freezer for a little while before eating, just to firm up a bit. Enjoy!




Image by LynnInHK via All Recipes




No comments:

Post a Comment