Sunday, August 9, 2009

Busy Bodies, Part 1

I know, I know. Where the heck have I been the past 6 days, right? Oh my, I had no idea August would be so full of social engagements! I was starting to feel very un-social, and then August completely restored my popularity self-esteem! Thanks, August! I think it's about that time for one of my very general meander-ish type of blog posting today. You know, some pictures, a few random updates, perhaps a recipe link or two.

Here goes.

First of all, it sure is convenient when your children begin taking baths together! Thank goodness for this handy dandy bath seat apparatus that Ella now relaxes in during her spa-treatment of a bath time (every mother should invest in this. EDITH, THIS MEANS YOU. Though I suppose you do have a little bit of time). Also, Ben & Ella have sort of learned the art form of playing together! It only took 9 months, but it seems they're getting the hang of it. This is an answer to every prayer and hope I've had the last 9 months. If Ben could only be a bit more gentle, and Ella a bit less sensitive, it would almost be a playmate match in heaven.

Secondly, isn't he just the cutest? Whenever I feel anything to the contrary and I'm frustrated with him and on the verge of listing him on Ebay, ready at the post office to ship him out to the highest bidder, I force myself to look at this picture and count to ten. He melts me every single time. HOWEVER, it should be noted that Ben has picked up a nasty new little habit called lying. It's awful, and it's driving me nuts (and I'm sure my parents would call this karma). At first it was a little bit funny because when you're 3 years old, you have no concept of how to lie well. I mean, I ask him a question that I already know the answer to, and he is so transparent in his response. For example, "Hey Ben, did you just open Ella's door while she's napping." To which he'll reply, "Ummmmmmm.......No? No, I didn't?"
Hm.
Interesting.
You'd think after all the many years of experience working with children and the background I have in Early Childhood Education, I'd have some really great method or solution for this sort of problem. And yet, the only thing that this Mother of the Year is coming up with these days is: "Well, just remember what happened to our little friend Pinocchio. Lying didn't seem to work too well for him, now did it?"

I know. Impressive disciplinarian skills, right? Which leads me to this little side note: if anyone has any good solutions for this lying thing, PLEASE please please throw them my way. We need help. It turns out he's way smarter than we gave him credit for. But, this is just a small little phase and it will all be over in a couple weeks, right guys? Right???? WHAT????? Hee hee.


Moving right along, last Wednesday was a major event in me & Dan's lives. We went to see a Phish show! This experience in and of itself could be its own blog posting. In fact, perhaps I'll do just that at another time. You deserve to hear some of the hilarious details of the events that occurred that evening. It's a whole other world at these live shows, but I will say that it was one of my top 10 favorite nights of all time. You read that right. TOP 10, baby! It was SO WONDERFUL to have a night out with my wonderful husband (plus one of my best friends plus my wonderful bro-in-law, plus one of Dan's colleagues) and dance for hours upon hours with every hippie that resides in the Bay area! I did a lot of dancing and laughing and sweating, and when water bottles are $5 A PIECE (do they KNOW what water costs everywhere else in the world???!), I experienced some major dehydration. But it was all worth it. One of the best shows of my life. Thanks for getting back together, Phish!


Next, I should forewarn you that although this pretty baby girl looks sweet and oh-so-innocent- it turns out she's a little bit nutty! Must be those Dewig genes. Anyway, she is crawling like a crazy lady, and pulling herself up on EVERYTHING, and standing and oh my goodness are we in for it! She is so much busier than Ben was at this age. I don't know if it's the second child syndrome or that she's a girl, or a combination of the two. But we laugh at her pretty much all day long. These days she reminds me of one of those overly-zealous and overly-energized aerobics instructors that smiles alot and keeps yelling at you to work harder! Sweat more! Feel the burn! Go for the gold! That's Ella.

Last Saturday, my sister, mom & I went to a bridal shower for a very dear, long-time friend of mine, and I left the shower on the most wonderful high. I was completely overwhelmed with joy and gratitude for her and her precious family (who, by the way, should absolutely look into going into the shower-throwing business. Everything was exquisite perfection.) This is a family that we have been close to since before I was born- over 30 years now, which officially makes her my oldest friend (to clarify- not oldest as in she's 90 or something. She's who I've been friends with the longest). She & I practically knew each other in utero, and it just warmed my heart to see her so happy and so in love with a man who is actually worthy of a girl of her caliber! She is a rock solid girl, completely self-less and has lived a life devoted to helping others, cracking people up with her hysterical personality, totally committed to her faith, her family and loved ones. It's my personal opinion that people like this deserve all the happiness and love in the world! CONGRATULATIONS, MISS JENNY! We all cannot wait to see what lies ahead for you and your hubby-to-be. You guys are going to make the most fantastic team!

I'm going to end this right about now, as my tummy is violently growling at me, and nothing gives me Blog Block like a deep hunger. For the record, I think I will whip up some tuna salad, my current favorite go-to lunch when I'm in a pinch. Part 2 of this blog will arrive hopefully in the next few days. But for now, it's time for some tuna, some dinner prep and maybe even some (*gasp*) "me" time. Happy Monday!





1 comment:

  1. LOved it. But you missed another important event.... ANd what ABout Joe Johnson? That MUST be blogged about.

    ReplyDelete