Friday, August 28, 2009

Here's To 31

So, it turns out my imminent 31st birthday is dangerously approaching with some impressive flurry, and this morning I was reflecting on all that's transpired over this last year. Not that I think going from 30 to 31 is really a big deal. Heck, I'm still not even sure of what really changed going from 29 to 30. Well, except for that one little change that included being pregnant with an entire house. Actually, it was a small mansion I was carrying in my belly:

Incidentally, that picture above also pretty much epitomizes how I spent my big 3-0 birthday last year. Pregnant, ginormous, miserable, and exhausted. But still trying to keep a smile on my face. I think even my brain was retaining too much water to really have any deep thoughts on entering a new decade. Unless of course you consider where's the ice cream? and how many more hours until it's November? deep.

But there is quite a bit that happened this past year- my life has had heaps of various experiences, some more exciting than others (two septic back-up problems independent of each other in one year being on the less exciting end of things, of course). And I started making a mental list of all the things I learned and I was struck by what one year can do for a person. The big stuff learned is obviously greatly important, but I'm beginning to understand that it's all the little things we learn along the journey that really are life's gems.

So here are my gems, big & small:
  • Living on an apple farm in the middle of nowhere while pregnant is incredibly isolating, and not nearly as romantic as it sounds. It's dirty and dusty and full of wild animals that I didn't even know existed. BUT... I don't know of a better way to shape one's character.
  • Getting into your first car accident sure shakes you up and makes you question wearing flip flops while driving. Getting into your second and much, much more severe car accident a month later makes you love your family even more than you thought was possible. And it makes the thought of walking a whole lot more appealing.
  • High-speed internet access is a gift from heaven.
  • After all this time, Sting still moves me. More than ever.
  • If you are Italian, your quota of tears to be shed increases with every year you are alive. Seems to be a direct correlation. This is one major difference I've noticed going from age 29 to 30. I'm getting nervous for my children who will one day have to witness their blubbering weepy mother at age 82. It doesn't take much to move me, people.
  • Getting stressed and angry does not, in fact, make traffic go away.
  • If I have the choice to fine dine in an expensive restaurant or have some margaritas and authentic Mexican food, I'll go with the Mexicana comida authentica. It's just who I am.
  • Speaking of Mexican food, I like it very spicy. Surprisingly spicy. I took it to new heights this last year, and I'm proud of how much heat I can handle now that I'm all grown up and in my 30s.
  • I don't think I will ever become a fan of wearing high heels. I've tried, and my feet are just too picky and prefer to be enveloped in a variety of flip-flops instead.
  • Sometimes people are so generous and it's impossible to repay their kindness. Oh, the humility I've been forced to have this last year! So instead I pray for them and hope that once we're in heaven I can repay them, maybe with diamonds and scoops of clouds and a pretty new gold harp.
  • This will not come as a shock to anyone, but making homemade ice cream is incredibly exciting and interesting to me, and I can't believe I just now started fully utilizing that handy little ice cream maker of ours.
  • Having two children, although wonderful and priceless, is definitely more difficult than having one. I cannot believe I ever thought I had it hard with just one. Silly me.
  • I like white wine! And I waited 30 years to experiment with this, but I'm glad I did.
  • Ceiling fans make a huge difference. Every home should have them.
  • Not everyone is going to like me. Heck, some people may even despise me. And that's okay!
  • Farmer's Market & I just recently got back together. Not sure really why we broke up in the first place, to be honest. But we've moved forward and we're quite happy together. In fact, I think we bring out the best in one another. Anyway, it's my new happy place. My Disneyland. (Because who can afford to go to Disneyland these days, anyway?! Honestly! I think it's time for Mickey to receive a pay cut so they can cut back their admission fee just a tad. Either that or a free funnel cake with every paid entrance into the park. But that's just me.)
  • Long distance relationships are possible! One of my very closest friends does not live anywhere near me, and never has. And yet we talk like we're everyday-hang-out friends. And I am completely fulfilled.
  • Apparently, someone at some point greatly lowered the bar for television standards. And then-- LOST came along! I no longer approach everything that has a science-fiction-y feel to it with complete and total disinterest and rolling of the eyes.
  • I've been going to my hairdresser for half of my life now. I couldn't say that two years ago. It's funny how I seem to be getting older, but he has stayed the same age. Who knew hair could be so bonding?
  • Technically, we moved twice this past year. Which is difficult. BUT! With both of these moves (and of course the four that proceeded it) we learned what it means to get rid of our crap and live off of less! What a gift!
  • We're teaching Ben how to say his prayers in bed at night, and every time he thanks God for his Oma & Opa, I get a little lump in my throat. The physical distance between us & Dan's family and parents affects me more and more each day. This life is so precious and short. And I wish I could relish in their presence a bit more than our pocketbooks allow.
  • And finally, I am incredibly blessed. Over this past year I have witnessed and received more generosity, love, support, encouragement, and compassion than I knew was possible in a lifetime. I wish that I could bestow the same love & affection upon all of you, too. Life is really difficult at times, isn't it? But then I look around and see who I am surrounded by and what I've been given and I realize...it is really good to be me, here and now. It's really good to be (almost) 31.

No comments:

Post a Comment