Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When In Ireland....

{{en|One of the Carrowmore tombs in Ireland. T...Image via Wikipedia

Even though I'm only slightly Irish (thanks to my full-blooded Italian father), and at home and NOT in Ireland today, I thought some homemade Irish Soda Bread would be an appropriate contribution to the St. Patty's Day feast we'll be attending as a family later this evening. After researching approximately 7,925 Irish Soda Bread recipes, I think I found and adapted a recipe and have, in my humble opinion, come pretty darn close to "LA ULTIMA" of all Irish Soda Breads. And yes, "la ultima" is an ancient Irish phrase, dating back to the days of yesteryear.

I've made Irish Soda Bread before, and was a bit disappointed by its dry scone-like rock-in-your-stomach texture (thanks for nothing, Barefoot Contessa) but this recipe yields a delightfully moist rustic looking loaf, and the crust---oh my heavens, the crust is AMAZING. I think it has something to do with the multiple buttermilk/melted butter basting's that are involved. Which brings me to my little baking secret: Basting with butter = buttery beautiful results.

Anyway, just make it. It took me all of 5 minutes of prep time, which is more than I can say for most recipes in my repertoire. I'm pretty sure Saint Patrick is singing its praises from heaven as I type this. Enjoy!



Easy Irish Soda Bread
Yield: 1 loaf
(liberally adapted from recipe by MP Welty via AllRecipes)


Ingredients

  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 c. white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 c. raisins (or more if you really love raisins)
  • 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  •  
  • For basting:
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a cast-iron skillet (alternatively, you can use a pizza stone, or if you have neither, a large lightly greased baking sheet will work too).
  2. Put raisins in a small bowl and add the 1 1/4 c. buttermilk- allow the raisins to soak in buttermilk for about 15 minutes.
  3. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment,  mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and butter. Stir in the egg and the buttermilk/raisin mixture. Switch to the "dough hook" attachment and allow the dough hook to knead the dough slightly. If necessary, sprinkle a little flour on top. Form dough into a large round and place in prepared cast iron skillet (or pizza stone or baking sheet). In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Brush the loaf with the butter mixture about every 15 minutes while it bakes. To sweeten the loaf, sprinkle with sugar after each basting. Enjoy!


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. You are so festive! I appreciate your holiday themed baking. And I can't believe you "dissed" the Barefoot Contessa. It's a sacrilege!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to show some Irish pride. I just wore a green sweater. I like this recipe because it makes bread without yeast and yeast scares me. The everybodylikessandwiches.com soda bread recipe is good too. As is the packaged soda bread mix from Bob's Red Mill... xoxo

    ReplyDelete