Monday, October 26, 2009

For The Children

Trick Or TreatImage by Cayusa via Flickr

Well, I broke down. I bought a colossal bag of Halloween candy. And with 5 whole days still left until Halloween actually arrives, surely this is a recipe for disaster. A wonderfully delicious chocolaty recipe.

The last 12 times I've been to Target, I've seen the forbidden Halloween section with its seasonal orange and black packaged candy, practically waving at me and begging me to take it home. But being a woman of tremendous self-control, I resisted those bags of artery clogging, thigh enlarging, tummy jiggling Halloween treats. Plus, all of the good candy was still being sold at full-price, and who can justify that ridiculous expense? $8 for a bag of- let's face it- sugar? I might as well dispense tablespoons full of brown sugar to the trick-or-treaters instead. Or its healthier alternative, honey. Or pennies. In this economy, I am not afraid to be the creepy lady on the block that gives out pennies to the children. Anyway, I did this whole temptation/resisting game for 3 whole weeks. I was like Jesus being tempted in the desert except my "desert" was the Halloween section in Target, and I'm not exactly... Jesus. But you get the idea.

Then
...I noticed it was all on sale yesterday, including the good stuff (read: Resse's & Snickers). It's painful for me to pass up a good deal, be it toilet paper or clothing or...Halloween candy. So what's a girl to do? I gave in, all the while reminding myself that the greatest gift is truly to give and ohhhh, the smiles these treats would bring to the faces of the trick-or-treaters (that we may or may not have this year). So really, I was doing it all for the children.

And then yesterday, as Dan was reaching his hand into the mysterious already-opened bag of treats, he looked at me with a smile and asked,
"Um, is this supposed to be for Halloween?"
Me, somewhat defensive & irritated: "Yes, babe. It's for the children."

Nevermind the fact that the bag is already 1/3 empty. Don't these children deserve candy that has been pre-tested for safety & freshness? With all of the concerns parents have these days, wouldn't they be happy to know that their child's candy had been thoroughly tested? It just so happens that I took it upon myself to implement my very own system of quality control. It's just the kind of girl I am....willingly taking a hit for the team. For the children. (Incidentally, everything tested out with flying colors in the safety & freshness department. And I'm sorry, but HOW CUTE are those little Snickers bars? Who can possibly eat just one?)


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. I love you. And mini snickers. And candy corn. And my post-a-comment-password was PLATE. That is a real word!

    ReplyDelete