Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The File Cabinet

The other night, Dan & I had an unusual evening of productivity, especially for a weekday. Usually during the week, if we've eaten dinner together followed by putting leftovers in the fridge, we high-five each other and call it a day. Throw in designated "bath nights" for the kids, and now we're really taking the world by storm.

But the piles of paperwork lying around this place were beginning to make me feel claustrophobic, especially considering the combination of master bedroom and office we have in our sleeping quarters. We cleared off the desk. We filed things. We created a "to be burned during our family's first official summer bonfire" pile. Then we attacked the file cabinet.

Oh, the things you discover when you spend an hour filing things away with your husband....

The first thing I learned was that he likes to keep everything. When I came across blank, unused checks from a checking account we closed YEARS AGO, I realized that I probably need to step in a take a more active role as "co-filer" in this marriage. Done.

The second thing I learned was that the contents of his "personal" file folders are quite different from mine. His contain old high school transcripts, test scores, and college acceptance letters. My folders include fertility charting, decorating ideas, haircut styles, and paperwork from a job I left 5 years ago. Apparently Dan loved the letter "A" because his report cards were completely full of them. Across the board. Sometimes I wonder if he & I would have even been friends in high school, because while he was busy propelling himself to the top of his class academically, I was busy being a varsity cheerleader, snagging the coveted "Most Spirited!" award my senior year.

What can I say, I really loved having a good time, ALL THE TIME in high school. In cheerleading, this love for fun gets translated into the word "spirit". As in, I have spirit. Yes, I do. I've got spirit. How 'bout you?

I guess you can say that I am living proof that in the end, the nerd really does end up with the cheerleader. And I love that handsome nerd with all of my heart. (Perfect little plot for an 80s movie, right?)
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. 1. You've got spirit, yes you do. I'm glad that's officially on the internets now in case somebody hadn't noticed.

    2. What is it with husbands who like to keep everything? Does Dan ever delete emails? MC has THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of emails. I have like 10 and it stresses me out.

    3. I'm not surprised that Dan got a lot of A's. He's a smartie, that one. As I recall, you got your fair share of good grades too though. And you took physics.

    ReplyDelete