Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Caliente

The other day Dan received a gift at work. This is not completely out of the ordinary, as people generally enjoy giving teachers gifts every now and then. Usually there's a card attached expressing something to the effect of "sorry you get paid so terribly, thanks for all you do". It's awesome. We love it, and it only validates our choice to continue having Dan stay in the education field. And while we're here, might I make mention of those Starbucks gift cards that are thrown our way every now & again? GOLD MINE! Am I right, fellow teachers or teachers' wives? I'm telling you, it's the ultimate pick-me-up perk. And yes, I'm usually the one who ends up with those gift cards. What can I say? My man loves me. All the way to Starbucks.

But yesterday, this is what Dan received:

Some fairly authentic looking spicy peppers. 

Apparently the word got around his campus that his wife has a thing for spicy foods. And it's true, I do occasionally declare "MAS CALIENTE!" from the stove when I'm feeling extra saucy. Except nowadays I cook for two kidlets who aren't the biggest fans of spice, so I rarely indulge. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with this gift, and I want to use them wisely. But what are they exactly, and what am I supposed to do with them? And should I mention that Ben thought the green ones were green beans, and was caught milli-seconds before taking a giant bite through one? No, I probably shouldn't mention it because I'm certain we would've ended up in the E.R. And the doctors would have asked me what type of pepper he bit into, and I would have no idea. And eyebrows would have been raised suspiciously.

So, cyber-world. What do I do with them? (And seriously, what are they?) And just so you know, I'm extra interested if the suggestions involve cheese.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole!
    As someone from NM, I know a thing or two about chiles :)
    The big ones look like poblanos- char those suckers under the broiler, de-skin them and then stuff them with goodies (cheese! and other stuff like meat or rice) and cover them with sauce. YUM!
    The little ones look kinda like thai chiles... maybe time to whip up some curry or yummy noodles and toss 'em in!
    Take care,
    AN

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I agree with AN that those big ones look like poblanos, or maybe oversized serrano chiles. I think the little ones are cayenne, tabasco or thai chiles - probably super hot. You could use them in anything that you'd use jalapenos in, but a little would go a long way, so start slow, at least for your guests who might not be as calientadventurous as you.

    2. I bet male teachers get better gifts than females, and this post totally backs up my theory. Remember when you used to get tons of smelly lotions and other bath products for Christmas? I always felt that was a weird and personal gift, but I have sensitive skin and nose, so maybe other ladies would dig that. Either way, chiles and Starbucks gift cards are WAY more useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Yes, of course use cheese with them. I bet you'd find a thousand potential good uses at the Homesick Texan blog. (One of my faves. I made her squash enchiladas last week and they were delicious.)

    ReplyDelete