Tuesday, February 23, 2010

High-Low

I am desperately trying, as Mama Hen of my little nest, to make dinner hour a more pleasant event in our home. Trying to have a peaceful dinner hour (and by hour, I mean 15 minutes) where intelligent and pleasant conversation is exchanged is just not a reality right now. I have already added this to my list of "Someday We'll Be Able To________(fill in the blank), But Right Now It's Just Not Going To Happen". Usually dinner is a mad dash to the finish where Dan & I hardly get a word in edgewise because Ben just so happens to be the chattiest boy I've ever come across, and Ella barks out obtrusive squawking noises from her highchair to communicate things like, "I love that" or "I hate that", or "gimme gimme" or "I'm going to throw this at you now".  So we duck for cover, we eat, we listen to Ben and we try to give the illusion that we have control over our chaos.

Obviously, this is challenging. I miss the days of knowing what's actually happening in my husband's world. I miss hearing about his day at work, I miss hearing the funny stories (because as a highschool teacher, he's got a bunch). I miss the days of eating dinner sans indigestion. I miss sitting at the table once we're done eating just for the sake of sitting. For the sake of continuing conversation. Sure, I love what the kids bring to the table. I love their humor and their lighthearted little spirits, but I often wonder- is any of this sinking in? Is this special to them on any level? Do they recognize or appreciate the efforts that went into making this dinner possible? I've only ever heard and read about those families who sit in front of the TV while eating their dinner. But honestly, on some night's, that sounds downright heavenly.

So to help bring our individual worlds together, we implemented an somewhat-efficient way to communicate. When we remember, and when we're not too busy feeding our faces at the dinner table, we like to talk about our High & Low points of the day.

Today, my Low was finding my sunglasses and a piece of mail in the toilet, swimming together with whatever Ben left behind and forgot to flush away. Which made me realize two things: 1) There needs to be more strict enforcement of the "FLUSH EVERY TIME" rule in our house, and 2) I should just always leave my sunglasses in the car.

But then, because there is a God, there was a High. A moment I've anticipated for quite some time. Ben towed Ella on the back of his tricycle for almost 15 minutes this afternoon, and they both laughed and enjoyed it. This might not sound like anything special, but I assure you- once you've discovered mail and sunglasses in your toilet, anything remotely positive makes you feel on top of the world.

Some photo documentation of my High for your viewing pleasure (I'll spare you the photos of my Low. You're welcome):

 

 




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

  1. That last picture makes me long for a little girl to ride on the back of Luke's tricycle! I love them. I want to hug a little squawking Ella and help Ben throw things in the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE!!! We have the same trike. Nora always falls off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite posts of yours. It is so earnest and yet, of course, hilarious, and decorated with maybe the cutest pictures of Ben and Ella that I have seen so far. Damn it, Nicole, you make me want to have more babies! But I already have one who is keeping me quite busy! Last night I had lector practice at my church and a man who was there with me brought his daughter, who I'm guessing was about 4 or 5. She was looking around at all the statues and asked where Jesus was. (Frankly, I couldn't find Him either, maybe they hid the cross for Lent or something.) Then she looked up at a statue of Mary and said, "Oh! Jesus is in Mary's tummy!" It was precious and reminded me of Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking those pictures need to go into some frames ASAP. SO darling. And also they will remember all the meals that you ate together at the table, because we remember those things from our childhood and you're giving them such wonderful eating habits. I miss you! Being away for a week is too long, but I get so see you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also loving the new backdrop! Nice design.

    ReplyDelete