Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ode To The Pork

Oh, my people. HAVE I GOT A DINNER FOR YOU!

Those of you who know me are probably aware of my deep seeded passion for pork tenderloin.  In fact, in our household, 2009 was really the Year of the Tenderloin. Not even an entire country contaminated with swine flu can keep me away from my swine loin (and yes, I know, before I start getting comments about that statement, I'm aware that the two are actually unrelated). I'm slightly embarrassed by my strong feelings for it, because I realize after all, it's just pork. But if I'm going to be honest with you, then you should know that just writing this blog posting on this subject matter, I'm finding myself literally salivating and experiencing intense stomach hunger pangs. And I'm racking my brain, trying to manipulate a plan to have Dan swing by the grocery store on his way home and pick me up a nice juicy tenderloin and throw all current dinner plans out the window. Fortunately for me and my swine addiction, over the course of this year I've found many, many fantastic ways to sneak yet another pork tenderloin onto the dinner table. My family has graciously humored me and chowed it down each and every time. But because of this, I was nervous whether or not my family would once again embrace this new little recipe I found. And then I realized, HECK!- who can resist a slice of juicy tenderloin that's been cooked in BUTTER AND HONEY? The answer is either "no one" or "a crazy person", that's who.

I think one of the reasons I love pork tenderloin so much is that it's such a quick-cooking cut of pork, not to mention lean. So I'm able to prepare a deliciously healthy meal in a very short amount of time. Browning the meat in butter and honey before roasting is the key here...and with only a few ingredients required, it's a recipe from heaven. Ladies & Gentlemen, it is my great honor and pleasure to introduce you to:
 
Pork Tenderloin With Honey Butter
 
Ingredients:
Serves 4
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup water
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a Dutch oven or ovenproof skillet, heat butter and honey over medium heat, stirring to melt butter. Season pork with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and place in pan. Cook until underside is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Turn pork, and cook until other side is browned, about 5 minutes more. Lower the heat if the honey begins to burn.
  2. Put pan in the oven, and roast until pork is just cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer pork to a plate.
  3. Add water to the pan, and stir over medium heat to scrape up all the browned bits. Add any accumulated pork juices from the plate, and simmer until sauce is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Slice pork on the diagonal, and serve drizzled with butter sauce.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. Yum. I am making that next week. I will also cook two tenderloins and save the second one for a future meal, like I learned from the Food Network.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very intrigued...will make this tout suite and report back! We are also very much a pork tenderloin house. So delicious, inexpensive and healthy.

    Love the recipes...keep em coming. I believe you owe me some kind of cream cheese pie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liam made it tonight and we both loved it. (Had to cook the meat longer, though). That was one dangerous sauce!!! Might just eat the leftover sauce on toast tomorrow morning! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this tonight. I burnt the honey but it was still absolutely delicious. What was I waiting for?! Thanks dude. It was the first pork tenderloin I did not overcook. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete