Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Brief Moment On The Soapbox

Dan & I finally watched the recently released DVD, Food, Inc. For those of you who haven't seen it or heard of it, it's a riveting documentary where the filmmaker's hope is to "lift the veil" on our nation's food history and present day circumstances and expose the governmental and corporate control that is held on our food sources and supply. (Incidentally, it's also been nominated for the 2010 Indie Film Spirit Awards.) It's unflattering, it's scary, it's infuriating and so incredibly important for us to see.

In short, we were completely fascinated- and utterly shocked by what we learned in this film. At times it was painful to even watch. I'm not usually one to get on a bandwagon and yell my 2 cents from the rooftop, but it is not an exaggeration to say that this film has truly changed me and the way that I feel about what we eat and how it's produced. It has forced both Dan & I to take a long hard look at what we're eating, and most importantly, what we're feeding our children. It has also fostered a new hope in consumers, empowering those who care enough to turn the tables, to realize we have a voice and we can make the changes that need to happen. By no means am I trying to subtly suggest taking radical or drastic measures- as far as I know, we are not making any abrupt conversions to vegetarianism. (Because Lord knows how I love me some pork.....). But I do encourage, even beg of you to watch this film and do what you feel is best for you and your loved ones. I am so grateful we did.

If you want to take baby steps towards getting involved, here are 10 simple things you can do to change our food system. Or you can visit Take Part to learn even more.

If that hasn't lured you in yet, then here's the movie's trailer for your viewing information:





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment