Monday, April 20, 2009

Apricot Oatmeal Bars (...you're welcome)

Two quick things-

1) An update to yesterday:Ben & I did eventually whip up some of these (fabulous) apricot bars later in the day, post quality magazine time for Mama
2) Apparently my mention of said bars has created some minor baking interest and so I've decided to share the incredibly simple recipe with you all. You should really all do yourself a favor and whip these up (I think they took us 10 min. total to make) because they are heaven. I mean, c'mon...anything that involves butter, brown sugar & apricots is destined for success. Also, I incorporated a little lemon zest in the crumb mixture for a little kick.

Alicia, this one is dedicated to you.


Apricot Oatmeal Bars

1-1/2 c. flour
1-1/2 c. quick-cooking rolled oats
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c. butter (easiest if at room temp.)
1 (12 oz.) jar apricot preserves (I recommend the Trader Joe's reduced sugar organic apricot jam)

Stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, & baking soda. Cut in butter with form until mixture is crumbly. Pat 2/3 of the crumbs in the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9 x 2 in. baking pan; spread with preserves (NOTE: I heated up the jam a bit in the microwave to make it a bit easier to spread). Sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake at 375 for 25-30 min. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars.

2 comments:

  1. Those sound really good. And I love that Ben is helpful in the kitchen. Maybe Ben can be helpful at the post office, when you guys overnight me some of those bars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe! I am going to try them and perhaps mix it up with whatever jam I have on hand. Loving the blog! I can't wait for more pictures and recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete