Saturday, April 10, 2010

Golden Gate Park

This last week we've relished in every second of Dan's Spring Break. Downside to being a teacher: who can possibly survive on that income? I mean, really! Upside to being a teacher: having a Spring Break in which we essentially got paid to have family playtime in SF! On Wednesday we made the long trip (and by long, I mean just shy of 90 minutes, but with two kids who are never in the car for more than 20 minutes at a time, it felt like an eternity) up to San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. All I can say is, why have we never visited before? And when can we move there? It was breathtaking and lush and colorful and full of culture and flowers and wide open space. We couldn't have asked for more perfect weather- deep blue skies, not a cloud to be seen, lots of sunshine with a slight cool breeze. It was postcard perfect. I felt so happy to share the experience with our kidlets, and someday I expect them to reflect back and thank us for the experience. Because here is the photo documentation to prove we tried to make it as memorable as possible:

A few minutes into road trip, singing along to a little Raffi:

Oh, look! ME! Since I am the chief photographer in our home, sometimes I have to take my own picture just to later prove to my children that I really did exist, and that I really was present for these big family events:

This awesomely tangled tree that we found within seconds of arriving at the park:


Per recommendation, we hit up one of the FOUR children's playgrounds first and let them get their wiggles out. It was a pretty big playground for us country mice, but apparently it's one of the smaller ones the park has to offer!















The Music Concourse, a gorgeous outdoor music amphitheater (I even let out a few la la la's):


Somewhere near the Japanese Tea Garden:








Entering the Botanical Garden (practically the Garden of Eden):





Duck pond with some sort of large bird:

I packed a big picnic, with enough food for a small army, and we pitched camp on the other side of this sweet  duck pond. It was my favorite part of the entire day. We took our shoes off, the kids ran around the damp grass with their bare toes, and I soaked in a little sun. It was all perfect...until Ben slipped and fell in.

This is the marshy slippery mush that was responsible for......

this:


Life is good when you're the baby.

Stroll around the lake led us to this AMAZING poor man's view of beautiful Japanese Tea House gazebo. Someday I'm going to throw myself a tea party there.

This picture is classic because I thought I was just taking a candid photo of my son standing by the lake. But after I took the shot, I walked over only to discover his pants around his ankles, peeing in the tree. In public. In front of many strangers. Apparently, this is how we country mice roll.

The windmill and tulip garden!

The one & only Family shot we could get that day. It just wouldn't feel like a family photo without Ella staring off someplace else, and Ben in mid-revolt, giving his best semi-possessed scowl. Good times.

We heart you, San Francisco! We'll be back- you haven't seen the last of these country mice!

p.s. After that trip, I sort of found a tick in Ella's ear. It was awful and creepy, and Dan totally saved the day.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Okay, the tick part was a bad thing to end on, but otherwise I love this post and hope to some day go on a Dewig family outing like this. Also, you are so pretty. And Ben is such an oddball - I love him. And you are a good photographer. And I love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart Golden Gate Park! Some of my earliest memories include GG Park (specifically the swings and the Tea Garden)!

    It looks like you guys had a great time (save the mud & tick part)...

    And, when did Ben become like, a boy?!? He is SO big and just looks so grown up in these pictures!! Wow!!

    PS. I love your sunglasses....

    ReplyDelete